So, it’s the holidays. Everyone including your mother has fashion advice for you. You have a box of unworn holiday disasters you ordered online. Outfits you bought when you had a boyfriend who was going to attend an event with you…then he cancelled at the last minute. Ensembles that were so cute in the store dressing room, then, ended up on the ‘cutting room floor.’ So, what’s a gal to do? That family photo will look so much better with a little careful planning and avoidance of anything too “trendy” to make you look great no matter what your age so you can stand the test of time.
Just follow out tips here, and avoid all pitfalls and wardrobe malfunctions: trust us, we’ve have designed, costumed and styled all the TV holiday shows you can imagine (most of them very forgettable) and we have seen our share of ugly holiday sweaters. So, read on!
- Avoid the Sales Rack: Its a jungle out there!
- Avoid ‘over-dressing’ for the family dinner.
- Avoid ‘under-dressing’ for the family dinner.
- Avoid anything that screams ‘uncomfortable’.
- Avoid the Holiday Sweater: Bridget Jones already did it.
Now…some things to keep in mind:
- Keep your look simple, chic, and luxurious.
- Choose flattering colors next to your face and just add a dark bottom, a favorite jean or cashmere sweater, slim skirt or leather legging.
- Use jewelry as an accent for a top, a simple chic sweater, a t-shirt and jacket, or a unique top with details or shape that is flattering.
- Shoes can be boots, flats, or any type of shoe that says elegance, and not “nightclub dancing” or “dull or boring” like that Talbots Flat your mother just got you (eeks, that’s a no, for sure).
- Add a scarf, fur neckwrap, pashmina or shawl, poncho, etc. that finishes the look and can be taken off indoors if it gets too hot.
Get Ready for Your Close-Up: Style Yourself for the family photo.
Remember, this holiday photo will last forever, so a simple chic and a beautiful flattering color next to your face with an uncomplicated neckline with a scarf or piece of jewelry added is always best. Take a tip from TV costumers, the photo will highlight your face and shoulders just like you are on TV, so create your best look within the “TV Square” of your photo with a timeless and simple choice.
You will be happy you chose a timeless look to remind you of the special day with those you love.
Happy Thanksgiving, from our team at ART OF STYLE!
Here are some shopping destinations that will keep you out of trouble:
Websites we Love for Holiday Shopping that fit every budget:
Everlane: chic, simple luxury that works for every age group.
Portero: Luxury website with certified luxury designer pieces to add to your classics.
Zappos: Shoes delivered to your door in no time at all.
Rachel Zoe: She tackles every subject in the “can do” department. Also links to great shopping sites.
Violet Gray: Simply the best site for winter beauty, fragrances and skincare. There is also a shop in Los Angeles on Melrose Place.